Serves: 4 - 6
Winter Melon - 2 cup, cut into 1" cubes
Channa Dal /Kadle Bele - 2 tbsp
Coconut - 2 tbsp
Coriander - 4-5 strands
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Green Chillies - 3-4 or as desired
Oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Red Chillies - 4
Curry leaves - 8-10
Black Chickpeas - 1/4 cup
Yogurt - 1 cup
Salt - to taste
1. Soak the channa dal in 1/4 cup of water for about 20-30 minutes.
2. Then grind to paste the soaked channa dal, coconut, cumin seeds, green chillies and coriander
3. Fry the Black chickpeas in a pan on medim - low-medium heat until the chickpeas turn completely black and are brittle.
4. Heat oil in a think bottomed pot and add the mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds crackle add the curry leaves, followed by the red chillies.
5. Stir fry until the colour of the red chillies deepens and then add the black chickpeas and fry about another 1/2 min.
6. Add the paste prepared earlier, add salt to taste and cook while stirring continously until the mixture reaches a boil. Let the mixture cook for another 2 minutes and then add the yogurt. Wait for the mixture to reach boil again. Boil until all the ingredients blend well and remove from heat.
1. Vegetables such as chayote and cucumber can be used in place of winter melon.