Moong dal - 1/4 cup
Rice - 1/2 cup
Water - 2 1/2 cups
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Green chilles - 3
Pepper - 1 tsp, coarsely ground
Jeera - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 5
Coriander - 4-5 strands
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
1. Fry the moong dal in a pan until the colour of the dal slightly deepens and it gives out a nice aroma
2. Cook the moong dal, rice, water, and salt in a pressure cooker for one whistle.
3. Heat oil in a large pan, fry the cashews until golden brown. Remove them from the pan.
4. Add the mustard seeds and wait till they crackle. Then add the curry leaves, green chillies, pepper powder, jeera and stir
5. Now add the cooked rice+dal to the pan and stir well
6. Garnish with coriander and cashews
Pongal can be served with coconut chutney or raitha as an accompaniment.