Sunday, August 2, 2009
Moong dal - 1/4 cup
Rice - 1/2 cup
Water - 2 1/2 cups
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Jaggery - 1 cup
Cardamom - 1/2 tsp, powdered
1. Fry the moong dal in a pan until the colour of the dal slightly deepens and it gives out a nice aroma
2. Cook the moong dal and rice along with water in the cooker for one whistle.
3. Meanwhile melt the jaggery with 1/2 cup water in a pan until a syrup if formed. Add cardamom to the jaggery as it melts
4. Then add the cooked rice+dal to this syrup.Stir well and cook on low heat until the mixture blends well.
5. Heat 4 tablespoons of the ghee in a separate pan and fry cashews to golden brown. Add the cashews to the pongal
6. Add raisins and fry for a few more seconds or until they swell up. Add the raisins to the pongal
Serve hot with more ghee if required ...