Toor dal - 4 tbsp
Moong dal - 2 tbsp
Masoor dal - 2 tbsp
Urad dal - 1 tbsp
Channa dal - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Cinnamon - 1 stick
Cloves - 2
Curry leaves - 4-6
Red chilies - 4, small
Green chilies - 4, finely chopped
Ginger - 2 tsp, finely chopped or grated
Garlic - 2 tsp, finely chopped or grated
Tomatoes - 2, diced
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
Coriander - 4-5 stalks
Juice of one lemon
Oil - 2 tbsp
Salt - to taste
1. Wash the dals, soak for an hour and then drain.
2. Add enough water to cover all the dal and cook in a pressure cooker or cook dal till soft on the stove.
3. Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds
4. Once the mustard seeds crackle, add the cumin seeds, cinnamon and cloves
5. Then add the curry leaves, green chillies, red chilies, ginger and garlic and fry for 1 minute.
6. Now add the tomatoes and garam masala and cook until the tomatoes are soft and blend well with the spices added earlier.
7. Then add the cooked dals, and salt and mix well. If the dals were not cooked completely earlier, they need to be cooked now, else mixing and heating till the contents blend is good enough.
8. Turn off the heat completely and add the lemon juice and mix.
9. Garnish with coriander and serve hot or warm