Sunday, September 13, 2009
Long grained rice - 1 1/2 cups
Idli rice - 1/2 cup
Urad dal - 1/2 cup
Fenugreek seeds/Methi seeds- 2 tbsp
Chana dal - 2 tbsp
Salt - to taste
1. Wash and soak all ingredients (other than salt) together for atleast 6 hrs
2. Drain and reserve the water and grind both separately in a blender to a fine paste, adding some the reserved water as needed (if the grinder/blender seizes up) until the mixture is of batter consistency.
3. Add the salt, and mix thoroughly; keep overnight to ferment
4. The next day, check the batter; make sure that the batter has fermented (notice increase in volume).
Wait till fermentation which depends on the weather conditions. When it is ready to be used, add some water if too thick and mix so that it is of a pouring consistency.
5. Heat the tava/griddle on medium-high heat . While pouring the batter bring back to medium.
6. Put little oil/ghee or butter and wipe with paper towel. Pour the a laddle full of dose batter and spread in circualr motion. Pour a little oil (about 1/2 teaspoon) all around the crepe and on the centre as well. Let it cook for about min or untill the edges of dose leaves the tava.