Thursday, November 12, 2009
Lady's finger/Bhendi curry
Bhendi/Lady's finger - 4 cups
Oil - 6 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 2 tsp
Onion - 4 tbsp, chopped (preferable red ones for flavor and color)
Juice of 1 lemon
Brown sugar - 1 tbsp
Tomatoes - 2, finely chopped
Coriander - 4 - 5 strands, finely chopped
Salt - to taste
SPICES 1 (GROUND)
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Cumin - 1 tsp
Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
Red chilly powder - 1 tbsp
Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Water - 1-3 tsp
Cinnamon powder - 1 tsp
Cardamom powder(not pods)- 1/2 tsp
1. Carefully wash the okra, then dry them. cut off the pointed tip and the stalk and discard.
2. Mix spices 1 into a paste with a little water.
3. Heat the oil in a kadai or wok. stir-fry the mustard seeds until they pop, about 1 minute, then add the spice paste and fry for 2 minutes, then the onion for 3 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, chop the okra into 1-inch pieces, add them to the kadai, and gently toss for 5 minutes.
5. Add the lemon juice, sugar, tomato, spices 2, and coriander.
6. Stir-fry carefully for 5 more minutes. if the okra were tender to start with, they are now cooked perfectly. add salt to taste.
Serve at once. Do not store or freeze this dish as it will become sappy and mushy.