Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Asparagus with Eggs
Serves : 4
Fresh Asparagus - 1 lb
Butter - 5 tbsp
Eggs - 4
Fresh Parmesan Cheese - 4 tbsp, grated
Salt - to taste
Ground black Pepper - to taste
1. Cut off any woody ends from the asparagus. Peel the lower half of the spears by inserting a knife under the thick skin at the base and pulling up toward the tip. Wash the asparagus in cold water.
2. Bring a large pan of water to boil. Boil the asparagus spears until just tender.
3. While the asparagus is cooking, melt a third of the butter in a frying pan. When bubbling, break in the eggs and cook them until the whites have set but the yolks are still soft.
4. As the asparagus is cooked, remove it from the water with two slotted spoons, Place it on a wine rack covered with a clean dish towel to drain.
5. Divide the spears among warm individual serving plates. Place a fried egg on each bundle of spears and sprinkle liberally with the grated Parmesan.
6. Melt the remaining butter in the frying pan. As soon as it is bubbling, but before it browns, pour it over the cheese and eggs on the asparagus.
7. Season with salt and pepper and serve at once.
Fresh crusty bread makes a delicious accomplishment to mop up the runny yolk.