Poor little tykes who are allergic to eggs often miss out on treats. This classic shortbread recipe that can be used for any shape of cookie. These make great holiday cookies. Try topping with coloured icings or sprinkles for Halloween, Christmas, or birthdays.
Butter - 1/2 cup, cut into small pieces.
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour and sugar until blended. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Using your hands, shape the dough into a ball and knead on a lightly floured surface until it is smooth.
4. Using a floured rolling pin, roll the dough out to about 1/2" thickness. Using assorted cookie cutters, cut out into desired shapes and place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for 1 minute. Remove the cookies to the rack and cool completely.
For chocolate shortbread, add 1/2 cup cocoa to the flour.