Sunday, October 18, 2009
Rice - 1 cup
Beans - 2 cups, cut into inch long pieces
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Channa daal - 2 tbsp
Urad daal - 2 tbsp
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Vangibath powder - 2 tbsp
Oil - 3 tbsp
Tamarind paste - 2 tbsp
Salt - to taste
1. Wash, drain and soak the rice in warm water for about 10 minutes
2. Then cook the rice in a pressure cooker or rice cooker.
3. In a medium saucepan, cook the beans with minimum water and salt to taste until done and set aside
4. Heat oil in a pan until hot but not smoking. Add the mustard seeds and wait for them to sputter.
5. Once the mustard seeds sputter, add the channa dal and the urad dal and stir fry until the dals turn uniformly brown.
6. Then add the tamarind paste and fry until it dries up a bit and looks greasy. Now add the turmeric, red chilli powder and fry for about a minute.
7. Add the beans along with the water and fry till the dish thickens and very little water is left. Be sure to have less water to start with else the beans may get over-cooked.
8. Now add the vangibath powder and mix well and turn off the heat. The consistency of the dish should be good enough to mix with rice.
10. Now add the pre-cooked rice and salt and mix gently being careful not to break the grains.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot!!