Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Bitter Gourd Curry
Bitter Gourd - 2 cups, diced
Jaggery - 1/3 cup
Tamarind - about the size of lemnon
Sambhar Powder - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 tbsp
Turmeric - a pinch
1. In a thick bottomed pan, heat the oil and fry the bitter gourd on low heat for about 8-10 min until the bitter gourd shrinks and it browns slightly.
2. In the meanwhile soak the jaggery and tamarind in about 1/2 of cup of hot water so that the jaggery melts and the tamarind softens.
3. Once the Bitter Gourd has browned slightly, add the water in which the jaggery and tamarind is soaked to the pan. Sqeeuze out any water from the tamarind and also add the paste that comes out of the tamarind while squeezing to the pan.
4. Add the sambhar powder, salt, turmeric and mix the contents well. Heat on medium fame until the water reaches a boil while stirring occasionally.
5. Heat until all the contents blend and paste thickens. Add water as required and as you would like the consistency of the curry to be.
Serves as a side dish with chappatis, dosa and also tastes great with rice!!