Japanese Eggplant - 2 medium, cut into 1 inch long pieces, 1/4 inch in width, soak in salt water until ready to be used
Green bell pepper/Capsicum - 1, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
Peas - 1/2 cup
Tomato - 2 medium, diced
Channa dal - 2 tbsp
Urad dal - 1 tbsp
Bay leaf - 1 large
Fennel Seeds - 1 tbsp
Dry red chillies - 4
Oil - 5 tbsp
Vangibath powder - 4 tbsp
1. Wash, drain and soak the basmati rice in warm water for about 10 minutes.
2. Pressure cook the rice with 4 cups of water and 1 tbsp of oil. Once the rice is cooked, cool slightly and then fluff up to separate the grains.
3. Heat the remaining oil in a large non-stick skillet and add mustard seeds and wait for them to crackle. Once the seeds crackle, add the bay leaf and fennel seeds. After about 10 seconds, add channa dal and urad dal and fry until they turn uniformly brown.
4. Then break the red chillies and add to the oil, fry until their color deepens. Then add the tomatoes and fry for about 2 minutes.
5. Then drain the eggplants and add to the skillet followed by the capsicum/bell pepper and peas and cook until the eggplants and bell peppers are almost cooked.
6. Remove from heat, add vangibath powder and mix gently to blend the all the ingredients. Pour the eggplant mixture over the cooked rice, add salt and mix well.