Monday, April 19, 2010
Eggplant - 1 small
Salt - 1 tbsp
Olive oil - 2 tbsp
Zucchini - 1, thinly sliced
Green bell pepper - 1 small, thinly sliced
Onion - 1 small, thinly sliced
Crushed tomatoes - 2 medium, finely chopped or crushed
Bay leave - 1
Cooked rice - optional
1. Cut the eggplant into 1" thick slices. In a colander, toss the eggplant with the salt and let rest for 30 minutes. The bitter, dark juices of the eggplant will be drawn out. Rinse the salt off the eggplant.
2. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat and in batches, brown the eggplant. It is important to cook the eggplant slices in small batches so that they brown properly. Once all the eggplant is browned, remove to a dish.
3. In the same pan, add the zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until golden. Add the pepper, onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent.
4. Return the eggplant to the pan. Stir in the tomatoes and bay leaf. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer, for at least 30 minutes to blend flavours.
5. Cool slightly and remove and discard the bay leaf. Serve as is or puree in a food processor to a consistency appropriate for your child.
Serve, if desired, over hot cooked rice.