Bandhgobi Hari Matar Tarkari
This recipe combines cabbage and green peas in a glistening light tomato sauce - a dish that is rich in flavor, low calorie, and very economical.
Caraway seeds - 1/4 tsp
Coriander seeds - 1/2 tsp
Black peppercorns - 4-5
Whole cloves - 3
Cardamom seeds - 1/2 tsp
Ghee or unsalted butter - 4 tbsp
Tomatoes - 2 large(1 1/4 lb), peeled, seeded and chopped
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/4 tsp
Cabbage - 1 small(1 lb), cored, trimmed and shredded
Peas, fresh or frozen - 1 cup
Fresh coriander - 2 tbsp
Salt - to taste
1. Combine the caraway seeds, coriander seeds, peppercorns, cloves, and cardamom seeds in a spice mill or mortar and grind to a powder. Set aside
2. Heat the ghee or butter in a large, heavy casserole over moderately high heat. When it is hot, add the tomatoes, half of the powdered spices, and the turmeric and red chilli power, and cook stirring often, until the puree is reduced to a thick sauce.
3. Add the cabbage and stir until it glistens. Cover and reduce the heat to low, and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add the fresh peas , stir and continue to cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring once or twice to check the liquid. If the dish becomes dry, add 2-3 tbsp of water.
5. Add frozen peas only in a last 2-3 minutes, along with the fresh herbs, salt and remaining powdered spices. Toss to mix.