Onion - 1/2 cup, roughly chopped
Garlic - 2 cloves
Tomato - 1 medium, roughly chopped
Sambhar powder - 1 tbsp
Coriander - 4-5 stalks
Coconut - 1/4 cup, grated
Potato - 2 medium, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
Baby eggplant - 2 medium, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 5
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Tamarind paste - 1/2 tsp
1. Pressure cook the black-eyed peas with 1 1/2 cups of water until the peas are completely cooked.
2. Combine together the coconut, onion, garlic, tomato, sambhar powder, coriander leaves, tamarind paste, turmeric and process in a blender or food processor until a smooth paste is formed
3. Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan until it is hot but not smoking. Add the mustard seeds and wait for them to crackle. Once the mustard seeds crackle, add curry leaves followed by the paste from the blender to the oil and heat on medium-high flame for around 5 minutes until the paste appears greasy.
4. Then add the potatoes, baby eggplant and water as desired and let it cook for around 5-8 minutes.
5. Now add the cooked peas along with the water, salt to taste and bring to boil on high flame. Then simmer for another 5 minutes.