Toor dal - 1/2 cup
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Garlic - 2 cloves
Turmeric - a pinch
Oil - 1 tbsp
1. Wash and soak the toor dal for about 30 minutes.
2. Drain and cook the toor dal with the turmeric and about 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker until the dal is completely cooked.
3. In a heavy bottomed pan, heat the oil until it is hot but not smoking. Add the mustard seeds and wait till they crackle. Then add the cumin seeds and wait till the colour deepens, then add the garlic and fry until they turn crisp and brownish.
4. Then break the red chillies and add followed by the green chillies and fry for about 1/2 a min. Add the onions and cook until they soften.
5. Add the tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes are soft and completely done. Add the methi leaves and cook for about 4-5 minutes until the methi leaves are cooked.
6. Now add the cooked dal, salt to taste and mix well. Cook for a minute or two.
Serve with green chillies and lemon wedges as garnishing.