Sunday, March 7, 2010
Spicy Potatoes and Cauliflower
Potatoes - 4, medium
Peanut oil - 5 tbsp, divided
Ground cumin - 1 tsp
Ground coriander - 1 tsp
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/4 tsp
Fresh green chilly - 1, seeded and finely chopped
Cauliflower - 1 medium, broken into small florets
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Garlic cloves - 2, cut into shreds
Coriander leaves - finely chopped, for garnishing
Salt - to taste
1. Cook the potatoes in their skins in boiling water for about 20 minutes, until just tender. Drain and let cool. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into 1-inch cubes.
2. Heat 3 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan or wok When hot, add the ground cumin coriander, turmeric, red chilli powder and chilly. Let the spices sizzle for a few seconds.
3. Add the cauliflower and about 1/4 cup of water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 6-8 minutes. Add the potatoes and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt, then remove from the heat
4. Heat the remaining oil in a small frying pan. When hot, add the cumin seeds and garlic and cook until lightly browned. Pour the mixture over the vegetables.
5. Sprinkle with the chopped coriander and serve at once.