Makes: 3 cups
All-purpose flour - 1 cup
Egg - 1
Ice Water - 1 cup
Vegetable oil - for frying
Vegetables - 3 cups of your favourite such as carrots, eggplant, green beans, or peas, sliced into pieces no larger than 2"
1. Preheat the oven to 200 F
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, egg, and ice water until blended though still lumpy.
3. In a deep saucepan or fryer, heat at least 3" of oil to 375 F, or test with a few drops of batter. The oil is ready when the batter immediately bubbles and sets.
4. Working in batches, dip a few vegetables in the batter, allowing any excess to drop off, and then place in the oil. Do not crowd the pieces.
5. When the vegetables float to the surface, turn them with tongs and cook until crispy, no longer than 6 minutes. Let drain on paper towels.
6. When frying, be sure to let the oil return to its temperature in between batches.
7. Put the drained tempura on a baking sheet and keep it warm in the oven.
8. Refrigerate leftovers and reheat them in a toaster over.