This simple but delicious curry with fresh gingery mango relish is best served with plain basmati rice.
Fresh red chillies - 1-2, seeded and chopped
Cold water - 3/4 cup
Oil - 1 tbsp
Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Green cardamom pods - 1, seeds removed and ground
Turmeric - a pinch
Tomatoes - 3 medium, chopped
Mushrooms - 2 cups (1 lb), quartered if large
Okra - 1 cup (8 oz), trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch slices
Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp, chopped
1. Place the ginger, garlic, chillies and 3 tablespoons of water in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the whole coriander and cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle in the pan for a few seconds.
3. Add the ground cumin, cardamom and turmeric and cook for about 1 minute.
4. Add the garlic paste, tomatoes and remaining water. Stir to mix, then add the mushrooms and okra. Stir again, then bring to boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Remove the cover turn up the heat lightly and cook for another 10-15 minutes, until the okra is tender but not soft.
6. Stir in the chopped coriander and serve with the mango relish and rice.