Monday, March 29, 2010
Shredded White Radishes and Diced Potatoes
White poppy seeds or chopped almonds - 2 tbsp
Fresh ginger root - 1 inch, scraped and coarsely chopped
Hot green chillies - 2
Fresh coriander 3 tbsp, coarsely chopped
Ground cinnamon - 1/8 tsp
Ground cloves - 1/8 tsp
Ground nutmeg - 1/8 tsp
Water - 1/3 cup
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Ghee or Oil - 4 tbsp
Asafoetida - a pinch
Potatoes - 3 medium sized, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes.
White radish - 2 1/2 cups, shredded
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Ground coriander - 2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Lemon or lime juice - 2 tsp
1. Combine the poppy seed or almonds, ginger, chillies, 1 tablespoon of the herb and ground spices with the water in a blender and process until smooth. Transfer to a small dish.
2. Heat the ghee or oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over high heat. When it is hot but not smoking, add the cumin seeds and fry till the cumin seeds darken a few shades.
3. Immediately add the asafoetida and then the potatoes. and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Follow with the radishes and poppy-seed-spice lend and cook quickly for 2-3 minutes. Reduce the heat slightly and add the turmeric and coriander.
4. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring almost constantly, until the potatoes are just tender. (Depending on the thickness of your pan and the source, sprinkle vegetables with water to prevent sticking)
5. Before serving, fold in the remaining fresh herb, salt and lime or lemon juice.