Toor dal - 1/2 cup
Green chillies - 2, or as desired
Red chillies - 2
Onion - 1 small, finely chopped
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece, grated
Lemon juice - 1 tsp
1. Wash and soak the dal in warm water for at least 30 minutes.
2. Cook the dal in a pressure cooker with turmeric until the dal is completely cooked.
3. In a medium pan, heat the oil until it is hot but not smoking. Add the mustard seeds and wait for them to crackle. Then add the cumin seeds and fry until their colour deepens.
4. Then break the red chillies and add to the oil, followed by the ginger and the green chillies. fry for about 1/2 a minute.
5. Add the onions and cook until they soften and then add the cooked dal. Mash the dal if required, mix well and cook for another 2 minutes.
6. Before serving add the lemon juice and mix well and garnish with the coriander leaves.