Channa Dal - 1 cup
Green Chillies - 4
Cloves - 2
Cinnamon stick - 1 inch piece
Garlic - 2 cloves
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
Onion - 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
Dill leaves - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
Mint leaves - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
Salt - to taste
Oil - for deep frying
1. Soak the Channa dal for at least 5-6 hours. Drain all the water.
2. In the blender or food processor, first grind the green chillies, ginger, garlic, cinnamon and cloves to a coarse paste.
3. Then add the channa dal and grind into a coarse paste with minimum or no extra water. Remove from the blender to a medium bowl.
4. To the channa dal, add the finely chopped onion, coriander leaves, dill leaves, mint leaves and salt and mix well.
5. Meanwhile heat the oil for frying to around 350 F
6. Take teaspoons full of the mixture and make flatten out into circles not more than 1/4 inch thick and drop them carefully into the oil. Do not crowd the pieces.
7. When the pieces float to the surface, turn them with tongs and cook until crispy. The crispes take time to be cooked inside, so make sure to keep the oil temperature medium-low and fry until both sides turn uniformly brown. Drain on paper towels.
8. When frying, make sure to let the oil return to its temperature between batches.
Serve hot with chutney of your choice or tomato ketchup.