A popular light dish that makes a tasty light supper.
Green cardamom pods - 8
Cloves - 8
Onion - 2 medium, finely chopped
Carrot - 2, finely diced
Thawed frozen peas - 2/3 cup
Thawed frozen corn - 2/3 cup
Cashew nut - 1/2 cup, lightly fried
Ground cumin - 1/2 tsp
salt - to taste
1. Wash the rice several changes of cold water. Put in a bowl and cover with water. Let soak for about 30 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in the pressure cooker and saute the cumin seeds for 2 minutes. Do not let the seeds burn. Add the bay leaves, cardamom and cloves and saute for another 2 minutes.
3. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until softened and lightly browned.
4. Stir in the carrot and cook for 3-4 minutes.
5. Drain the rice and add to the pan together with the peas, corn and cashew nuts. Cook for 4-5 minutes over medium heat.
6. Add 4 cups water, ground cumin and salt. Bring to a boil and pressure cook for one whistle. Immediately remove from heat and let cool.
7. Once cool enough to open the pressure cooker, open and stir gently not to break the grains.
8. Turn on to a platter and fluff up before serving.